《百万英镑》(The Million Pound Note)是美国著名作家马克·吐温的小说,讲述了一个穷困潦倒的营业员美国小伙子亨利·亚当斯在伦敦的一次奇遇。伦敦的两位富翁兄弟打赌,把一张无法兑现的百万大钞借给亨利,看他在一个月 内如何收场。一个月的期限到了,亨利不仅没有饿死或被捕,反倒成了富翁,并且赢得了一位漂亮小姐的芳心,在兄弟那里也获得了一份工作。文章以其略带夸张的艺术手法再现大师小说中讽刺与幽默,揭露了20世纪初英国社会的拜金主义思想。
Mark Twain's short story of "one million pounds" is a very good work. The article on the "money is everything," "money is omnipotent," the idea of a satire, to expose the ugly face of capitalist society.
"One million pounds" is about a poor, honest man, that is, the heroine of this story has received a pair of brothers, the letter sent to him inside one million pounds. The brothers had made a bet, gambling, if a poor, honest people who come knocking on the door received the one million pounds, he will be what kind of results? Brother that he would starve to death because he could not prove that the money was his own, will be subject to other people's doubts, and even the banks do not let him save money. His younger brother that he would lead a very good, and therefore they have the brothers of one million pounds will be loaned to check the poorest people, and spent 30 days abroad. Did not expect that during this period of time, people have the rare fortune suddenly rich, has tried to cozy up to him, from the free food, buy clothes, free accommodation, like a beggar, like to please him, and continue to improve his social status until the exception of the highest outdoor Wang Duke on! Not only that, he also has been a good wife and 30,000 pounds of bank interest, and finally from two brothers got a very good job. Lived a very, very happy life.
See here, I am so envious of the "lucky" heroine, but at the same time I would like to: people reason to curry favor with him, not just because when people value money too it? Worship of money is shameful and should not be reaping more! Money is not omnipotent, the world than money, there are many more important things ... ...
马克吐温著的短篇小说《百万英镑》是一部很好的作品。文章对“金钱就是一切”“金钱是万能的”的想法进行了讽刺,揭穿了资本主义社会的丑恶面容。
《百万英镑》是讲一个贫穷、诚实的人,也就是这个故事的主人公收到了一对兄弟的信,信里面送给了他一百万英镑。原来这对兄弟打了一个赌,赌如果一个贫穷、诚实的人收到天上掉下的一百万英镑,他会有怎样的结果?哥哥认为他会饿死,因为他无法证明这些钱是他自己的,会受到别人的怀疑,连银行都不会让他存钱。弟弟则认为他会过得很好,于是他们兄弟俩将一百万英镑的支票借给了这个贫穷的人,并出国呆了三十天。没想到在这段时间内,人们对这位突然暴富的罕见富翁,竟拼命地拉拢他,从免费吃饭,买衣服,到免费住宿,一个个像乞丐一样讨好他,并不断提高他的社会地位,一直到了除王室外最高的公爵之上!不光如此,他还得到了一位好妻子和三万英镑的银行利息,最后还从两兄弟那儿得到了一份很好的工作。过着非常非常幸福的生活。
看到这儿,我很羡慕这位如此“幸运”的主人公,但同时我又想:人们之所以讨好他,不就是因为当时人们太看重金钱了吗?拜金主义是可耻的,不劳而获更不应该!金钱不是万能的,世界上还有许多比金钱更重要的东西??
双城记英文读后感
第二篇:百万英镑 话剧表演
必修三Unit3 THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE百万英镑:
Act I, Scene 4第一幕,第4场
(Outside a restaurant Henry looks at the envelope without opening it and decides to go in. He sits down at a table next to the front window.)
(在餐馆外边,亨利看了看信封,没有打开,然后决定走进餐馆。他在靠近前边窗户的一张桌子旁坐了下来)
OWNER:(看看亨利的那副穷酸相)That one's reserved. This way, please.Take your seat.(对服务员说) Take this gentleman's order, Horlas.
店主:那张桌子有人订了。请到这边来。霍勒斯,来给这位先生点菜。 HENRY: (坐定之后,把信放在桌上,右转头看钟,1点,左转头发现旁边有一个人在看他,服务员来了,拿着递过来的菜单说)I'd like some ham and eggs and a nice big steak. Make it extra thick.
亨利:我要火腿加鸡蛋,还来一块大牛排,要特厚的。
WAITER: I'm afraid it'll cost a large amount of money.
服务员:恐怕这得花费一大笔钱。
HENRY: I understand. And I'll have a large cool glass of beer.
亨利:我明白。我还要一大杯啤酒。
WAITER: OK. (The waiter leaves and soon returns with all the food.)
服务员:行。(服务员离开了,很快把所有的食物端了上来)
HOSTESS: My goodness! Look at him.He eats like a wolf.
女老板:天哪!你看他,吃起东西来就像头狼。
OWNER: Well,we'll see if he's clever as a wolf.
店主:瞧着吧,看他是不是像狼一样机灵
HENRY:(刚吃完了所有的东西,右转头看钟,1点30) Ah, waiter. (waiter returns)Same thing again, please.
亨利:喂,服务员。(服务员过来了)同样的东西请再来一份。
WAITER: Again? Everything?
服务员:每样东西都再来一份吗?
1
HENRY: Yes, that's right. And so letter.(看着服务员的脸色)Anything wrong? 亨利:是,没错。别忘了啤酒。有什么不对吗?
WAITER: No,no,sir. (跑到老板老板娘那小声说) He's order another portion same at all !
服务员:不,没什么不对。他再要一份同样的食物。
OWNER: Do you think he can pay?
老板:你认为她付得起钱吗?
HOSTESS: Well,we would trust it.
女老板:哦,我们得冒点儿风险。
OWNER: Serve him.But don’t throw back gristle,understand?
老板:给他上一份,但是不要去软骨,知道吗?
WAITER:(饭后,时钟1点55,服务员过来念账单)That's two orders of ham and eggs, two extra thick steaks, two large glasses of beer, two cups of coffee and two desserts.Three in ten.
服务员:两份火腿加鸡蛋,两份特厚的牛排,两大杯啤酒,两杯咖啡和两份甜点。3英镑零10便士。
HENRY: Thank you.(右转头看了一眼墙上的挂钟,1点57)Would you mind waiting just a few minutes?
亨利:谢谢,等几分钟好吗?
WAITER:(很不耐烦地)What's there to wait for?
服务员:还等什么?
OWNER: All right, Horlas. I'll take care of this.
店主:霍勒斯,行啦,我来吧。
HENRY:(对店主说)That was a wonderful meal. It's amazing how much pleasure you get out of tile simple things in life, especially if you can't have them for awhile.
亨利:这餐饭吃得真棒。从生活中如此简单的东西之中竟能得到这么大的乐趣,真是令人吃惊,特别是当你暂时吃不到这些东西的时候。
2
OWNER:Yes, very interesting. And now you have to pay the bill.And I will attend the other customers.
店主:是的,很有意思。但你可以结账了,这样我可以去照顾其它顾客。 HENRY:(又右转头看了一眼墙上的挂钟)That clock of yours is correct? 亨利:你们的挂钟走得准吗?
OWNER:Maybe it is fast.
店主:也许快一点
HENRY:All right,fast...How fast?
亨利:快一点...快多少?
旁边看他的那个人凑过来说:two minutes.
HENRY:Oh,thank you.
亨利:噢,谢谢你
OWNER:Now I don’t want you to be unpleasant.Would you please settle the bill? 店主:好了我不想闹得不愉快,你到底想不想结账?
HENRY:(拿着信)I want to,but you see...
亨利:当然想,不过你看...
OWNER:The bill please.
店主:结账吧,先生
HENRY:Yes,I know.
亨利:是的,我知道
OWNER:Exactly.
店主:结账
HENRY:All right...(小声说)Don’t suppose a couple of minutes will make a difference.
亨利:好吧...就差几分钟应该不会有什么问题吧
HENRY:(他把信封拆开,结果拿出了一张百万英镑的钞票。亨利愣住了,店主和店里周围的人都惊呆了)Oh,I'm sorry. But ... I... I don't have anything smaller.
亨利:噢,很抱歉,我……我……我没有小一点儿的钞票。
3
OWNER:(还在发呆,而且有点儿紧张,僵硬的接过钞票)Well .. er ...er... just one moment. (快步跑到女老板那,把钞票递给她看)Maggie, look!(女老板尖叫了一声,其他顾客都望着她,于是,她用手捂住了嘴巴)Do you think it's real? 店主:好……嗯……,等一会儿。玛吉,来瞧瞧!你看这张钞票是真的吗? HOSTESS: Oh, dear, I don't know. I simply don't know.Go and ask Mr.Turmen. 女老板:天哪,我不知道。我真不知道。去问问克尔内目斯先生
OWNER:Mr.Turmen!Mr.Turmen!Would you like to watch it?
店主:克尔内目斯先生!克尔内目斯先生!你来看看这个
TURMEN:What’s happaned?(接过来一看也惊讶到了,然后戴上眼镜开始仔细研究)
克尔内目斯:什么事啊?
OWNER:Do you think it's genuine?(女老板也凑过来了)
店主:你认为它是真的吗?
TURMEN:Two notes of nomination have been issued.It is hard to be forged.
克尔内目斯:英格兰银行只发行了两张这样面值的钞票.不管怎样这都不像是假钞。
HOSTESS: Why don’t?
女老板:为什么?
TURMEN:You can draw the attention of the owner.No forge will want that. 克尔内目斯:持有它的人会引起所有人的注意,骗子是不会这么做的 HOSTESS: But look at the owner he is in rags!
女老板:但是他穿得破破烂烂的!
TURMEN:Perhaps he's an act extremely millionaire.
克尔内目斯:也许他是一个行为古怪的百万富翁呢
OWNER:An act extremely millionaire!
店主:一个行为古怪的百万富翁啊!
HOSTESS:(在她丈夫的手臂上打了一下)But you put him in the back of the room! Go and see him at once!
女老板:但是你却把他带到餐厅后面去了,还不马上去看看他。
4
OWNER: (快步跑到亨利面前)I'm so sorry, sir, so sorry, but I can’t change this banknote.
店主:先生,对不起,非常对不起,这张钞票我们找不开。
HENRY: But it's all I have on me.
亨利:但我身上就只带了这张钞票。
OWNER:Oh, please, don't worry, sir. Don't worry. It’s no consequence,no consequence at all.We're so very glad that you even entered our little eating place. Indeed, sir, I trust you'll come here whenever you like.
店主:哎呀,先生,请别着急,一点儿也没关系。我们非常高兴你能走进我们这家小吃店。先生,真的,我希望您随时光临。
HENRY: Well, that's very kind of you.
亨利:这,你太好了。
OWNER:Kind, sir? No, it's kind of you,sir. You must come whenever you want and have whatever you like. The owner of the persent will reward of itself! As for the bill,sir, please forget it.
店主:我太好了?不,先生,是您太好了。您什么时候想来就来,想吃什么就吃什么。您就是在这儿坐一下也是我们莫大的荣幸!至于说账单嘛,先生,请把它忘了吧。
HENRY: Forget it? Well ... thank you very much. That's very nice of you. 亨利:忘了它?喔……,那就太谢谢了。你太好了。
OWNER:Oh, it's for us to thank you, sir and I do, sir, from the bottom of my heart.(深深一鞠躬,女老板也跟着鞠了一躬)
店主:啊,先生,该是我们谢谢您呢。先生,我从心底里感谢您。 (然后当亨利离开的时候,店里所有人都一齐向他鞠躬)
5